History

 

THE Fylde constituency, in its current guise, was created in 1983.

The constituency had previously existed in the early part of the twentieth century but was split and became two separate constituencies, Fylde North and Fylde South, in 1950.

Sir Edward Garner, who had previously been MP for Fylde South since 1970, became the first Member of Parliament for the reborn Fylde constituency in 1983.

Following Sir Edward’s retirement four years later, Fylde elected Michael Jack to the seat, a position which he went on to hold for the next twenty-three years.

Mark Menzies was elected MP for Fylde in May 2010 and returned, with a further increased majority, in May 2015.