Carbon Monoxide warning

BBQ160512

FYLDE residents have been warned of the dangers of Carbon Monoxide.

Lynn Griffiths, founder of the charity Carbon Monoxide Awareness, is calling for manufacturers of barbecue grills to put warning notices about the danger of carbon monoxide on them to stop the public from taking them into tents, caravan, campervan, or their homes. 

The warning follows several recent tragedies in which campers have lost their lives after taking lit barbecues into tents or caravans for warmth.

Carbon monoxide (CO) is difficult to detect because it is colourless and has no taste or smell.

People often don’t realise that they are being overcome by fumes until it is too late. 

 Carbon Monoxide Awareness President Lynn Griffiths said: “Nobody should ever take a barbecue indoors.

“To do so is courting disaster, but the public don’t seem to be aware of this and sadly there have been a number of tragedies and several near misses this year.”

Exposure to the gas reduces the blood’s capacity to carry oxygen, thereby causing the vital organs to fail.

Early symptoms are similar to flu, but these worsen as more of the gas is breathed in and Carbon monoxide concentrations in the blood increase.

Anyone who suspects that they may be suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning should turn off all appliances, go outside and seek help from a qualified healthcare professional.

 General advice

  • A lit or smouldering barbecue should never be taken into a tent, caravan or campervan.
  • Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) powered appliances should be serviced by a Gas Safe registered engineer who is qualified to work with LPG.
  • Solid fuel appliances should be serviced by a solid fuel HETAS registered engineer.
  • Oil fuelled appliances should be serviced by an OFTEC registered engineer.
  • For their personal safety, holiday-makers should buy an audible carbon monoxide alarm that meets British or European Standards (EN 50291).

Comments are closed.