MY WEEK IN WESTMINSTER

This week I wrote to the Rail Minister, fellow Fylde coast MP Paul Maynard, to ask him how often he is in touch with Virgin Rail about their pricing strategies on the West Coast Main Line.

Many of you will have read about my call for a fairer pricing policy instead of the present situation which penalises my constituents who use Preston Train Station.

Travellers face paying up to four times more for their trip than those travelling to and from Lancaster on the same trains – despite the fact it is further away.

I will keep on fighting for fairer fares for you – and have also asked the Transport Select Committee, of which I am a member, to look into the pricing strategy.

I took both of these actions before a meeting with Virgin Rail bosses in Parliament – which was taking place as The Express went to press. I will update you all on the situation next week.

A big part of the last week has been dominated by Brexit in Parliament. I voted to Leave.

I made it very clear that after the referendum result, I would vote to support the Prime Minister and Government in triggering Article 50.

Fylde constituents voted Leave, so it was only right I voted that way.

Now, the devil is in the detail and we face many lengthy debates to make sure we can secure control of our borders, but at the same time, make sure we get the best possible access to the EU markets for both goods and services.

I took part in a surgery in Ansdell with Fylde and Lancashire County Conservative councillors at weekend, and met many constituents raising a number of issues.

I’ll be writing to the pensions minster on behalf of the Waspi Women campaigners, to United Utilities over collapsed sewer fears, to HSBC about bank closures and disability access, and to Fylde Council about green bins.

I also visited the University of Central Lancashire’s sports complex this week.

It sits at the very east end of the constituency, and I was delighted to perform the official opening of a new £700,000 multi-use artificial grass pitch.

It is a top of the range pitch that can be used for any number of sports – football, rugby, even American Football which has a huge following at the university.

It is surrounded by other top class sports facilities.

But the best part of all? Students use it for 20 per cent of the time – the other 80 per cent is for community use, and Sundays see around 47 community teams competing in a variety of sports on the site.

Comments are closed.

Copyright © Mark Menzies - Conservative candidate for Fylde
Custom WordPress design by Stephen Skelly.co.uk